What are native plants?
A native plant is a plant that occurs naturally in a place where it evolved. For example, this would exclude hybrids but can include some cultivars which are referred to as nativars. Generally speaking, it's a plant that is not introduced by humans to an area and occurs naturally in its location.
Why should we use them?
1. It maintains the local biodiversity
2. Good food source Many are pollinators
3. Some species strictly rely on native plants to reproduce and grow. Example: monarch butterflies will only lay their eggs on Milkweed
4. Native plants have evolved with native animals/insects
5. All native perennials feed and shelter some wildlife
Click the images below to take a look at our native plant lists.